HomeHelpMN is no longer accepting applications.

If your application is being reviewed and you need to speak with someone, 
call the HomeHelpMN Call Center at 1-800-388-3226. Please have your application ID ready.  

The Call Center is open Monday through Friday, Noon – 4:30 p.m. CST.

Waitlist information

Why is HomeHelpMN ending?

HomeHelpMN is a federally funded, temporary emergency program to support homeowners experiencing hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program started in May 2022 and will have disbursed all available funds soon.

What if my application is in process when the program moves to a waitlist?

If your application was submitted before the waitlist, it will be processed subject to available funding.

How will I know if my application is put on a waitlist?

When you submit your application, you will receive confirmation the application was placed on the waitlist. When you log in to your application, your application status will be “Waitlisted.

Will applications on the waitlist be funded?

Waitlisted applications will be reviewed subject to available funding. You will be notified if your application is being processed and the application status will change to “In Process”.

How will I know if my application will be funded?

If your waitlisted application is selected for review, we will notify you. At that time, we will also collect any additional information or documentation if needed.

Submission of an application does not guarantee funding. Actual assistance will depend on your eligibility and availability of funds when your application is complete.

What should I do if I still need assistance?

You may be eligible for other assistance. Visit Minnesota Housing’s Find Housing Help webpage.

Assistance Available

How can HomeHelpMN help me?

If you own and live in your home, have experienced a financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and have past-due housing expenses, you may be eligible for financial assistance to bring your payments current.

What type of assistance is available?

HomeHelpMN offers the following services to eligible homeowners:

  • Financial assistance to bring past-due mortgage payments and eligible housing-related expenses current
  • Information about accessing services to evaluate solutions and navigate foreclosure:
    • HUD-certified Housing Counseling
    • Legal services

What past-due expenses are eligible to be paid?

Financial assistance can be used for past-due eligible housing expenses, including:

  • Mortgage and/or Contract for Deed payments
  • Property Taxes
  • Homeowner and Condominium Association payments, and Cooperative fees or common charges
  • Manufactured and mobile home loans and/or lot rent payments
  • Ground Rent/Lease and Tribal Trust Land Lease payments
  • Homeowner’s insurance including hazard, flood, wind and/or mortgage insurance payments

Is there a limit to the amount of financial assistance a homeowner can receive?

The maximum amount of financial assistance from HomeHelpMN is $50,000 per household.

Can I apply for financial assistance to cover upcoming expenses?

No. Financial assistance may only be used to pay eligible past-due mortgage payments and eligible housing related expenses.

Will I have to pay back the financial assistance?

No. The financial assistance does not need to be paid back.

Does the financial assistance get paid to homeowners?

No. The financial assistance is disbursed directly to the lien holder and/or third-party payee. The party who is owed must agree to accept the assistance.

Is the financial assistance taxable?

HomeHelpMN financial assistance payments are considered disaster relief payments by the IRS (pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 139) and will be excluded from the homeowners’ gross income. However, such payments may have other tax consequences. Please seek advice from a tax professional and review IRS Rev. Pro. 2021-47.

Is utility assistance available through HomeHelpMN?

No, HomeHelpMN does not cover utility expenses. However, you may be eligible for the Energy Assistance Program. Visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce or call 1-800-657-3710 to learn more about energy assistance and to apply.

If I’ve already received HomeHelpMN assistance, can I apply again?

Yes, you can submit another application if you have already received HomeHelpMN assistance and have experienced another COVID-19 financial hardship. Total assistance for all applications cannot exceed $50,000.

Program Eligibility

Who is eligible?

To qualify for financial assistance, you must:

  • Own and live in your home in Minnesota as your primary residence.
  • Have an income equal to or less than 100% of the area median income or 100% of median income for the United States, whichever is greater. View program income limits by county and household size.
  • Have experienced a Qualified Financial Hardship on or after January 21, 2020.
  • Have past-due mortgage and/or other housing-related expenses.
  • Your original loan balance must not exceed the conforming loan limit in place for your county at the time your loan was originated.

What is a Qualified Financial Hardship (COVID-19 Related Hardship)?

A Qualified Financial Hardship is defined as either:

  • Reduction of Income: Temporary or permanent loss of earned income after January 21, 2020, directly related to the coronavirus pandemic; or
  • Increase in Living Expenses: Increase in out-of-pocket household expenses after January 21, 2020, such as medical expenses or increase in household size, directly related to the coronavirus pandemic.

What property types are eligible?

You must own the property and it must be your primary residence, 1-4 units, and located in Minnesota. Eligible property types include single-family homes, townhomes, condominiums, duplexes, cooperatives, and mobile or manufactured housing. If you own more than one property, you can only apply for your principal residence.

Ineligible forms of ownership interest include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Business ownership (LLP, LP, LLC, etc.)
  • Rent-to-own
  • Any other forms where ownership is not clearly documented as belonging to the homeowner who occupies the property and is applying for assistance

Do I need to be past due to be eligible for financial assistance?

The program will only provide financial assistance for past-due mortgage payments and eligible housing-related expenses. 

I live on Tribal Trust Lease land. Can I apply for assistance?

People who live on Tribal Trust Lease lands are eligible to apply for HomeHelpMN.

Do I have to have been ill with COVID-19 to be eligible?

No. While illness can result in a qualifying financial hardship, you or your household members do not have to have been ill with COVID-19 to be eligible.

Can I receive help for my housing-related costs if I don't have a mortgage on my home?

Other past-due housing related expenses, such as property taxes, homeowners’ insurance, manufactured home lot rent and homeowner association fees, are eligible for financial assistance in cases where the home is owned, regardless of whether there is a mortgage on the home.

What if I have put my mortgage into a deferral program? Am I still eligible?

If you have gone through a loan modification that has added the balance to your loan as a deferred balance, and your loan is now considered current, you would not be eligible.

Do I have to apply for a deferral program or other solutions first before I can apply for HomeHelpMN?

HomeHelpMN does not require homeowners to pursue other options before applying for HomeHelpMN assistance. However, we strongly encourage you to explore and consider all of the options available to you, including refinancing and loan modifications. Contact your mortgage servicer for options. A housing counselor can help you compare solutions.

Applying for assistance

How do I apply?

Complete an application online at or by calling the Call Center at 1-800-388-3226.

You may also download and print a paper application or call the Call Center to request one be mailed to you.

The fastest way to complete your application will be to apply and submit all documents online. Applicants who apply by phone will be mailed or emailed a signature page.

Is there a cost to apply to HomeHelpMN?

No. There are no costs to the homeowner to apply for HomeHelpMN.

Do I need a Social Security number to apply?

The Social Security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for all applicants and household members is required.
If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, alternative information must be provided.

Contact the Call Center for support in completing the application at 1-800-388-3226.

English is not my primary language, and I have limited proficiency in the English Language. Where can I receive additional assistance?

The application is available in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali.

The Call Center at 1-800-388-3226 offers interpretation in Spanish, Hmong, Somali, and many other languages.

The Call Center is open Monday through Friday, Noon – 4:30 p.m. CST.

What documents do I need to apply for HomeHelpMN?

Applicants may need to provide documentation for the following:

  • Proof of Homeownership
  • Identification
  • Income verification
  • Proof of Assistance Needed

Download the list of required elements here.

How long will you accept applications? Is this a deadline?

The program will take applications while funds are available. Applications will be processed as they are submitted, and homeowners are encouraged to submit their applications soon. If all of the available funds are used, some applicants may be put on a wait list. A submitted application is not a guarantee of funding availability.

What if I don’t have all of the documents the application requests?

You can submit the application without all of the supporting materials as long as you complete the required questions. A member of the processing team will contact you to request the materials needed to process your application. If items are missing, your application may take longer to be processed.   

If in the course of completing the application I get a response that I am not eligible, can I still apply?

If you entered information incorrectly, you may re-enter the eligibility questions with the corrected information to determine eligibility.

If the results say that you are not eligible after you have re-entered the corrected information, you are not eligible to complete the full application and should contact a HUD-Certified housing counselor to discuss other options that may be available to you.

You can find a HUD-Approved housing counselor by calling the Minnesota Homeownership Center at 651-659-9336 or 1-866-462-6466 or visiting their website.

Who can I call if I have questions or need help with my application?

You may contact the Call Center at 651-204-1608 or 1-800-388-3226 for assistance.

The Call Center offers interpretation in Spanish, Hmong, Somali and many other languages. The Call Center is open Monday through Friday,
Noon – 4:30 p.m. CST.

Can I authorize a friend or family member to communicate with the program regarding my application?

Yes. When you apply, you may include the name of someone who is authorized to speak with the program on your behalf.

If I don't have a scanner, can I use my phone to take a picture of my ID or other documents and upload them to my application?

Yes, digital photos of documents are considered equivalent to scanned documents. Make sure the photos are taken in good lighting and are readable. You may wish to use a scanner app, such as Adobe Scan, to assist in capturing the images.

You may also fax documents to 612-435-4863. Be sure to include your property address and case ID on all documents.  

How can I find the status of my application?

You can see the status of your application by logging into your account or by contacting the Call Center at 1-800-388-3226.

What does my application status mean?

You may see several statuses as your application is processed. These are the most common:

  • Application in Progress: You have started an application, but it has not been submitted.
  • Application Submitted: You have completed all required fields and submitted the application for review. There may be additional information needed to evaluate your eligibility.
  • In Process: The processing team is working on your application. This may include verifying documents, communicating with your mortgage servicer or other third party, evaluating eligibility, verifying payment amounts, or other evaluation steps.
  • Applicant Action Needed: Additional information or documentation is needed from you to proceed with evaluating your application.
  • Third Party Action Needed: awaiting a response from the mortgage servicer or another debt holder. This status may appear for a longer period of time if there are several back-and-forth cycles of communication with the third party, or if there are multiple third party payees being communicated with. 
  • Waitlisted: Your application was submitted after the program moved to a waitlist. You will be notified if your application is reviewed.

I have concerns about potential fraud. What should I do?

If you have concerns regarding potential fraud, misuse of funds, or other related concerns regarding the HomeHelpMN program:

What is homeownership advising/housing counseling?

Housing counseling is a free service provided by trained and certified professionals who help homeowners evaluate homeownership options.

This includes explaining the foreclosure process and timeframes and discussing options to prevent foreclosure. Housing counselors also help homeowners communicate with their mortgage servicers and apply for loss mitigation.

Housing counseling is not a requirement to apply for HomeHelpMN, but may provide homeowners additional supportive services and information.

You can find a HUD-Approved housing counselor by calling the Minnesota Homeownership Center at 651-659-9336 or 1-866-462-6466 or visiting their website.

What is loss mitigation?

Loss mitigation refers to the steps mortgage servicers take to work with a mortgage borrower to avoid foreclosure. Certain loss mitigation options may help you stay in your home. Other options may help you to leave your home without going through foreclosure. For more information visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website.

If I apply for HomeHelpMN and am approved for financial assistance, am I required to accept it?

We encourage you to evaluate all options that may be available to you. For some homeowners, loss mitigation offered by their mortgage servicer may provide a better long-term solution by reducing the monthly mortgage payment amount and/or the principal balance of the loan.

If I accept HomeHelpMN financial assistance to bring my mortgage current, can I still apply for loss mitigation with my mortgage servicer?

Generally, once your mortgage is reinstated (or brought current), you will no longer be eligible for loss mitigation. However, you should contact your mortgage servicer directly to discuss your circumstances and other options that may be available to you based on the specific terms and guidelines of your loan.

What if my past-due balance is more than $50,000?

If you require more than $50,000 to bring your mortgage current, you have the option to provide the additional funds needed. You may be able to receive additional assistance from a city, county, or Tribal program.

Some zip codes do not have to provide income documentation. How were these chosen, and why?

All homeowners who are applying need to certify that their income is within program guidelines.

Minnesota Housing used demographic data from the U.S. Census Bureau to determine that a clear majority of all homeowners in the selected zip codes have incomes below the limit for the program.

Using an income proxy allows the program to process applications more efficiently and with less work for applicants.

This type of income proxy is specifically permitted under federal guidelines for the program.

What should I do if I receive a notice of foreclosure or sheriff’s sale?

If you have not yet applied for HomeHelpMN, you will include this information in Section F when you complete your application. Upload the documents related to foreclosure where requested.

If you have already applied for HomeHelpMN and receive a communication about foreclosure while your application is being processed, call the Call Center at 800.388.3226.  Tell the agent about the change and request that your application be re-opened so that you can upload the new documentation.

What happens if I incur more payments while my application is being processed?

Our processing team adjusts the amount of assistance approved to take into account any additional debt that may accrue while your application is active. Our team will communicate with the Third Parties who are owed to ensure that the amount of assistance paid will bring your expenses current. 

My application was denied or withdrawn. Am I able to appeal the decision?

If you believe you should have been eligible, you are able to appeal a denial decision. You will receive these instructions about the appeal process with your denial letter. Appeals must be in writing and received within 14 calendar days of the denial decision. If your application was withdrawn rather than denied, you may reapply in addition to appealing.